Thursday, April 14, 2016

Differences between grad/undergrad

Wanda, a member of my grad school cohort*, found this interesting article about how grad school is different from undergrad. The main differences covered are age and experience, the change in autonomy (more) and structure (less), and campus life.

I find myself agreeing with most of their points, and I think they are great selling points for becoming a grad student. My greater age and experience hasn’t entirely kept me from being nervous, but I do have more confidence and definitely more work experience that applies to my schoolwork. Plus, I have faith that I can handle just about anything for eight weeks – even statistics!

I think my favorite part is the greater autonomy – I do not miss gen eds, even a little bit. I don’t get to choose my classes, but I get to choose my program, and know that it addresses everything I need to know about my chosen field. (I thought that meant I’d never have to do math again, but stats snuck in there anyway.)

The lack of structure is a little alarming at first, especially for someone like me who identifies strongly with Hermione Granger. I want to know exactly what I need to do to get an A, and I want to know all the steps on the path to get there. However, I’m getting used to not being told all the steps, and making my own path.

I was never much of a joiner, so the lack of campus life doesn’t bother me much. I would like to meet my cohort in person, but we seem to be doing fine with lively discussion forums.

*An unexpected bonus of grad school is the frequent use of the word ‘cohort.’ Apparently we are now too grown-up and advanced to have anything as prosaic as ‘classmates,’ so now we get to be a Bond-villain-like ‘cohort.’ Very cool.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit my age and lack of experience in the field can be nerve racking for me sometimes. Sometimes I feel that some of my cohorts are more established in their career and I have difficulty relating. However I do my best to relate my current job position with what I can in discussion posts. It is wonderful hearing about everyone's experiences and learning from them. I feel that people are more open to discussion about what is going on in their personal career online rather than in a classroom setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem some nice improvements in your blog, Amanda. Your posts about relevant, course-related topics and the team project are generated some good interactions. Keep it up, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, even thought this a my third experience as a graduate student, I still have the same worries as everyone else: what do I have to do to get an A, did I do all my work or did I miss an assignment, will I have enough time in the day to complete all my work, etc.? Best, Helen.

    ReplyDelete