In trying to think of ideas to reach our target audience (prospective
online grad students), I was trying to remember what initially drew me to
Marist's program. I had a friend who was already enrolled in one of their online
master's programs. She spoke highly of it, and when I asked around some more,
Marist's reputation seemed to be sterling wherever I looked. I liked the
flexibility of the program (part- or full-time), and the idea that I could work
around my existing work/life schedule. I was worried about going back to school
after such a long break (14 years since my bachelor's - yikes!), but I attended
one of Marist's grad school open houses, and was very impressed with the staff,
the teachers, and all the material they provided about the program. I think
their openness and enthusiasm during the open house was what completely sold me.
Everybody obviously liked what they were doing, and was excited to answer
questions.
For other prospective students, I think I'd want to focus on the ease of
technology. I had never taken an online class before, and was pretty nervous.
Some focused messages about how the discussion forums work and how they draw out
ideas and teamwork would have worked for me, I think, and just some general
messages about how it's not as hard as you think! I like the idea of addressing their worries before they even realize they have them. I know I was all optimistic and excited until I actually got the acceptance letter, and then I was all anxious and thinking "what have I gotten myself into?" So there are different stages we could address.
Great ideas Amanda! What about the price/performance ratio? Do you think we should also address it?
ReplyDeleteI like that you mention speaking with other graduate students. That is an area we can tap into, forms of communication that connect current graduate students with possible graduate students.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had attended the open house, I hate that I attend a school that I have never physically been to. I have heard such wonderful things about the campus it is definitely on my list to visit one day. In your search for online programs did you find that it was difficult to find many Communication Studies programs at a well-known school?
ReplyDeleteI had been out of the academic world for so long, I hadn't heard of most of the schools that came up when I went looking for communication programs. So for me, it was all a bit of a wild leap. I knew someone who had recently enrolled in Marist, and I knew my co-workers had heard good things. It was definitely a selling point to be close enough to go to the open house, though.
DeleteYou were not alone by second guessing yourself when you received the acceptance letter. I was so excited, but still had that little voice telling me to forget about graduate school. They say "your biggest fear appear when you're close to your destiny". I'm glad you stayed.
ReplyDelete